Thursday, May 24, 2012

professional wanderluster

Day 3 - Unlike the days prior, we chose to have a slow start to our final day in Morocco.  We took an extra long time to enjoy breakfast on the terrace.  Alexis and I sat in silence as she nibbled away at her pancake, and I sipped my mint tea.  Silently, we both expressed our shock that this trip had gone by so quickly.  Avoiding the fact that we would need to make our way back to the airport that afternoon, we passed the morning taking one last walk through the square and through the gardens surrounding the Koutoubia Mosque.
Eventually, though, we could no longer avoid the time on the clock, and we headed back to the riad to collect our things.  As we packed, we took one last time to marvel at this quaint little place that had been our host - for a mere six euros a night - for the past three days.

Saying goodbye, we headed out the door again and hailed a cab.  On the plane ride back to London, I stared out the window and watched the city of Marrakech disappear behind me.  I sat back in my seat, feeling fully awake and knowing that I would not sleep during the flight.  I could not have imagined a better way to end my experience abroad than with this trip.  In under three weeks, I was able to immerse myself in five unique cultures, hear five different languages, and see five unique cities.  I felt so global - and so lucky.  More than anything, I could also not have imagined a more perfect person to experience this with me.  Alexis was an amazing travel companion, and I am forever grateful that she stuck by my side throughout this epic journey.
As our plane began to descend, I felt a slight sinking feeling in my stomach at the thought of going back to London.  It is funny how much a person can change in just a few short months.  A few weeks ago, I was convinced that I could stay in this city forever.  Now, I could not be more ready to explore other parts of the globe - especially the non-Western world.  In a way, though, this feeling did not surprise me.  At this point in my life, I know that I am definitely not ready to settle down in one place, and the only career that really appeals to me is professional wanderluster.  As I stepped off the plane, I felt a bite of cold air, and I knew for sure that I was done with this place.  At the time, I was uncertain of what lay ahead and that scared me, but I forged ahead nonetheless.  Adventure... somewhere... was out there waiting for me. 

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain