Monday, May 28, 2012

living deliberately

Today was my first day in my new position as financial administrator for the Costa Rica office of Rustic Pathways.  Even though I have only been working in this job for a day, I already know that this experience will be an incredible learning opportunity for me, and I am so excited for the months that lie ahead.  Throughout this time, I will be doing meaningful work that will give me experience in my anticipated career field.  More importantly, I will also be working alongside a great team of people for a company that I truly believe shares my worldly perspective and supports my life goals.

In addition to this work, the opportunity to live in Costa Rica for the summer will be fabulous.  I will be able to immerse myself in the local culture and improve my Spanish language skills.  I hopefully will be able to explore Costa Rica as much as possible too.  I would love to trek through the rainforest, experience the biodiversity of this nation, zipline, and maybe even try surfing.

I feel as though I could not be more ready for the adventures - and the challenge - that lie ahead.  So, in the words of Thoreau (though I may have edited them slightly) -

“I went to the [jungle] because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” — Henry David Thoreau